Personal tools
You are here: Home Administration Biology Department Events Archives 2009 Archives February 2009 COURT Seminar

COURT Seminar

Topic: Roles Of Recq-Like DNA Helicases In Cancer And Premature Aging. Speaker: Dr.Sudha Sharma
When Feb 17, 2009
from 12:30 PM to 02:00 PM
Where MR 1027
Contact Name
Contact Phone 212-650-8494
Add event to calendar vCal
iCal
Sudha Sharma

Associate Professor, Department of Biology, The City College of the City University New York

Banaras Hindu University, India- PhD – Biochemistry

National Institute on Aging-NIH, Baltimore- Post Doc-Lab of Mol. Gerontology

Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA – Post Doc – Pathology

Roles of RecQ- like DNA Helicases in Cancer and Premature Aging

Helicases are molecular motor proteins that couple the hydrolysis of NTP to nucleic acid unwinding. A growing number of DNA helicases is being implicated in human disease revealing their critical importance in vital cellular pathways. Mutations in the members of the RecQ subfamily of DEx-H-containing DNA helicases are associated with rare human diseases of premature aging, cancer, and chromosomal instability. My recent studies have provided the first evidence for an important role of RECQ1 to confer chromosomal stability that is unique from that of other RecQ helicases and suggest its potential involvement in carcinogenesis. FANCJ, a RecQ-like helicase, has recently been associated with breast cancer predisposition and Fanconi Anemia. My research is focused on understanding the molecular mechanisms of these helicases using biochemical, cellular and genetic model systems. In the light of their known catalytic activities and protein interactions, I will discuss the roles of RecQ-like helicases with an emphasis on how this distinct class of enzymes functions in chromosomal stability maintenance and prevention of human disease and cancer.