Personal tools
You are here: Home Administration Chemistry & Biochemistry Department Events 2018 February Biochemistry Seminar: Sharon Rozovsky, "Selenium in Biochemistry and Biophysics: Novel Functions of Selenoproteins and New Approaches for Their Characterization"

Biochemistry Seminar: Sharon Rozovsky, "Selenium in Biochemistry and Biophysics: Novel Functions of Selenoproteins and New Approaches for Their Characterization"

Sharon Rozovsky, Assoc Prof, Dept of Chemistry & Biochemistry, University of Delaware, "Selenium in Biochemistry and Biophysics: Novel Functions of Selenoproteins and New Approaches for Their Characterization"
When May 16, 2018
from 12:00 PM to 01:00 PM
Where CUNY ASRC Main Auditorium
Contact Name
Contact Phone 212-650-8803
Add event to calendar vCal
iCal

ABSTRACT

Selenoproteins are a specialized group of enzymes that contain the rare amino acid selenocysteine. They play a cardinal role in the management and regulation of reactive oxygen species, a class of signaling molecules that also causes molecular damage and is implicated in human health and aging. However, despite their importance, selenoproteins remain mostly understudied. This is in large part because of the technical challenges associated with their production and characterization. In my group we have overcome several of these hurdles and have combined biochemical and biophysical approaches that enables us to study this elusive protein family in detail. In this talk I will focus on two particular members: selenoprotein S (SelS) and selenoprotein K (SelK). Both are essential for stability of membrane complexes.  In addition to the study of particular proteins, my group is also developing biological 77Se NMR spectroscopy as a probe for macromolecules’ structure, dynamics and function. I will describe our work to enhance data interpretation of 77Se NMR through close collaborations with theoreticians.

More information about this event…