Personal tools
You are here: Home Administration Chemistry & Biochemistry Department Events 2019 May Biochemistry Seminar: George I. Makhatadze, "Novel Tools for Biophysical Studies of Amyloidogenesis"

Biochemistry Seminar: George I. Makhatadze, "Novel Tools for Biophysical Studies of Amyloidogenesis"

George I. Makhatadze, Constellation Professor in Biocomputation and Bioinformatics, Dept of Biology and Dept of Chemistry & Chemical Biology, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, NY, "Novel Tools for Biophysical Studies of Amyloidogenesis"
When May 08, 2019
from 12:00 PM to 01:00 PM
Where CUNY ASRC Main Auditorium
Contact Name
Contact Phone 212-650-8803
Add event to calendar vCal
iCal

ABSTRACT

Amyloid fibrils are protein aggregates that self-assemble into highly ordered cross-b-sheet rich structures.  These structures are found to be ubiquitous in all domains of life from bacteria to humans where they perform large variety biological functions.  Amyloids came to prominence due to their association with a number of human diseases including Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, ALS, diabetes.  Growing evidence suggests that amyloid fold is ancient and might represent a biological structure of early life.  In my talk I will describe our work on discovery of novel proteins that specifically bind amyloid fibrils.  Possible molecular mechanisms by which this binding occurs will be discussed.  I will also present several applications of these proteins to study mechanisms of amyloid formation and early diagnostics of neurological diseases.

More information about this event…