Personal tools
You are here: Home Administration Physics Department Events 2017 November Physics Colloquium: Dan Shahar, "Duality symmetry and the superconductor-insulator transition"

Physics Colloquium: Dan Shahar, "Duality symmetry and the superconductor-insulator transition"

Filed under:
Physics Colloquium: Dan Shahar, "Duality symmetry and the superconductor-insulator transition"
When Nov 29, 2017
from 04:00 PM to 05:00 PM
Where MR418N
Contact Name
Contact Phone 212-650-5618
Add event to calendar vCal
iCal

SPEAKER: Prof. Dan Shahar, Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot, Israel
TITLE: Duality symmetry and the superconductor-insulator transition

ABSTRACT:
Combining the many electron physics of superconductivity, effects of strong disorder and localization, reduced dimensionality and high magnetic fields, it is not surprising that the superconductor-insulator transition is still, after more then 30 years, an active field of research. I will review recent progress and discuss the many open questions in the field. I will then show that the superconductor-insulator transition exhibits a remarkable duality symmetry[1] directly relating the resistance measured in the superconducting regime to the conductance measured in the insulator. This symmetry points to a deep relation between these two seemingly-opposing phases. At very low temperatures (below 200 mK for our amorphous indium-oxide films) this beautiful symmetry is severely violated. We demonstrate that this violation can be associated with the emergence of a novel insulating ground-state in which the electrons are effectively decoupled from the host phonons[1]. We further show that duality symmetry can be effectively restored by driving the system out of equilibrium.
.[1]   M. Ovadia,D. Kalok, B. Sacepe and D Shahar, Nature Physics. 9:415-418 (2013)
[2] D.M. Basko, I.L. Aleiner, B.L. Altshuler, Annals of Physics 321, 1126 (2006);  D.M. Basko, I.L. Aleiner, B.L. Altshuler, Phys. Rev. B 76, 052203 (2007)

Prof. Shahar will join us for dinner.

Host: Myriam Sarachik, 212-650-5618