Personal tools
You are here: Home Administration Physics Department Events 2018 March Physics Colloquium: Vinod Menon, "Control of light-matter interaction in two-dimensional materials "

Physics Colloquium: Vinod Menon, "Control of light-matter interaction in two-dimensional materials "

Filed under:
Physics Colloquium: Vinod Menon, "Control of light-matter interaction in two-dimensional materials "
When Mar 14, 2018
from 04:00 PM to 05:00 PM
Where MR418N
Contact Name
Contact Phone 212-650-7443
Add event to calendar vCal
iCal

"Control of light-matter interaction in two-dimensional materials"

Vinod M. Menon
Department of Physics
The City College & Graduate Center of City University of New York (CUNY)
Email: vmenon@ccny.cuny.edu
Web: www.lanmp.org

Two-dimensional (2D) Van der Waals materials have emerged as a very attractive class of optoelectronic material due to the unprecedented strength in its interaction with light. In this talk I will discuss approaches to enhance the strength of this interaction even further using microcavities, and metamaterials. I will first discuss the formation of strongly coupled half-light half-matter quasiparticles (microcavity polaritons) in the 2D transition metal dichacogenide systems at room temperature [1] and their spin-optic control trough the valley degree of freedom [2]. Following this I will discuss the broadband enhancement of spontaneous emission from these 2D materials using photonic hypercrystals [3, 4]. Finally, I will also briefly discuss our recent work on room temperature single photon emission from hexagonal boron nitride [5] and the prospects of developing deterministic quantum emitters using them through strain engineering [6].
References
[1] X. Liu, et al., Nature Photonics 9, 30 (2015)
[2] Z. Sun et al., Nature Photonics 11, 491 (2017)
[3] T. Galfsky, et al., Nano Lett. 16, 4940 (2015)
[4] T. Galfsky, et al. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 114, 5125 (2017).
[5] Z. Shotan, et al., ACS Photonics 3, 2490 (2016)
[6] N. Proscia, et al. Arxiv 1712.01352 (2017)