Personal tools
You are here: Home Administration Physics Department Events 2018 May Physics Colloquium: Emily Rice, "Cool Stars, Hot Exoplanets, and Bringing Astronomy Down to Earth"

Physics Colloquium: Emily Rice, "Cool Stars, Hot Exoplanets, and Bringing Astronomy Down to Earth"

Filed under:
Cool Stars, Hot Exoplanets, and Bringing Astronomy Down to Earth
When May 09, 2018
from 04:00 PM to 05:00 PM
Where MR418N
Contact Name
Contact Phone 212-650-7443
Add event to calendar vCal
iCal

"Cool Stars, Hot Exoplanets, and Bringing Astronomy Down to Earth​"

Emily Rice

Associate Professor, College of Staten Island, CUNY

The answer to the question "Are we alone in the Universe?" might rely on some unexpected characters: stars much cooler than the Sun, planets much hotter than Jupiter, and enigmatic in-between objects called "brown dwarfs." I will describe all of these objects in the context of searching for potentially habitable exoplanets and my research on the atmospheres of low-mass stars, brown dwarfs, and directly-imaged exoplanets. Time permitting, I will describe my innovative outreach projects, which incorporate fashion and performance into science communication.

------

Professor Rice’s research focuses on the astrophysical properties of the lowest mass stars, gas giant planets around nearby stars, and brown dwarfs, which are intermediate between stars and planets. She leads the research group BDNYC (Brown Dwarfs in New York City) with Prof. Kelle Cruz (Hunter College) and Dr. Jackie Faherty (AMNH). Her research methods combine observational and synthetic spectroscopy in order to infer the physical properties of these objects from state-of-the-art atmosphere models.