Personal tools
You are here: Home Administration Physics Department Events 2020 February Physics Colloquium: Denis Golež, Ph.D., Photo-manipulation of quantum materials

Physics Colloquium: Denis Golež, Ph.D., Photo-manipulation of quantum materials

Physics Colloquium: Denis Golež, Ph.D., Photo-manipulation of quantum materials
When Feb 25, 2020
from 04:00 PM to 05:00 PM
Where MR418N
Contact Name
Contact Phone 212-650-5625
Add event to calendar vCal
iCal

The ability to control quantum materials is of paradigmatic importance for quantum technologies. Light is a particularly useful medium for material manipulation and I will focus on two notable strategies. First, a classical light from strong laser fields enables the exploration of excited and metastable states in quantum materials. Second, quantum light fields can hybridize with active degrees of freedom forming polaritons, which display new properties not shown by individual components. Due to numerous competing degrees of freedom, strongly correlated materials provide a perfect playground to drive systems into nonthermal trapped phases. Paradigmatic examples are Mott insulators after a photo-excitation. I will provide an example of a metastable state in 1T-TaS2 discovered by a direct comparison of the theoretical modeling and the time-resolved photo-emission spectroscopy. An extension of the description to cuprate superconductors will exemplify an efficient strategy to photo-manipulate the bandgap. In the second part, I will address the manipulation of excitons and their condensed phase - the excitonic insulator. The coupling between light and excitons leads to a hybrid state called the exciton-polariton. Within the symmetry-broken state new collective modes, like the amplitude (Higgs) and the phase mode, appear and their hybridization with quantum light results into new yet unexplored polaritons. The experimental signatures of these states as well as their potential for memory devices