Personal tools
You are here: Home Administration Physics Department Events Archives 2019 May Physics Colloquium: Jenny Greene, Dwarf Galaxies and Their Black Holes

Physics Colloquium: Jenny Greene, Dwarf Galaxies and Their Black Holes

Filed under:
Physics Colloquium: Jenny Greene, Dwarf Galaxies and Their Black Holes
When May 01, 2019
from 04:00 PM to 05:00 PM
Where MR418N
Contact Name
Contact Phone 212-650-7443
Add event to calendar vCal
iCal

Dwarf Galaxies and Their Black Holes

Jenny Greene
Professor of Astrophysical Sciences
Department of Astrophysical Sciences
Princeton University, Princeton, NJ 08544

Abstract
Because they are dark-matter dominated, dwarf galaxies provide some of the most stringent tests of our cold dark matter model. We continue to debate whether the number densities and distributions of low-mass galaxies match theoretical expectations. I will describe how the advent of deep and wide-area surveys like the Hyper-Suprime Camera (HSC) Survey (and eventually LSST) are changing our ability to find and characterize low-mass, low surface-brightness populations. First, I will present a new calibration of surface-brightness fluctuations to blue colors, which will provide a powerful new tool to determine satellite luminosity functions around nearby galaxies. Second, I will talk about our ongoing search for low-surface brightness galaxies is all environments with the HSC survey.  Finally, if time permits, I will discuss our search for wandering black holes in the  Milky Way using APOGEE+Gaia.