Bionanotechnology & Green Chemistry
85 St Nicholas Terrace
New York , NY 10027
- Ph.D., University of Kerala, India
Organic Materials; Bionanotechnology; Green Chemistry
1237 Marshak Hall
Tel. (212) 650-8353
Fax: (212) 650-6107
Group Web Page: Soft Nanomaterials Laboratory
Post-doctoral position available in soft nanomaterials
Professor George received his Ph.D. in Chemistry (synthetic polymer chemistry) from University of Kerala, India in 1993. Performed post-doctoral work at the University of Twente, The Netherlands, STA fellow at HNIRI, Japan, and spent two years as a research scientist at the CREST of JST & Nanoarchitectonics Research Center, Japan. In the fall of 2002 he joined the Rensselaer Nanotechnology Center as a research faculty and pursued his research interests in soft nanomaterials. Previous research involved bio-based organic/polymer synthesis, supramolecular chemistry and self-assembled nanostructures. Major goals of the current research include construction of nanostructured organic materials (vesicles, helices, tubes and gel systems) for bionanotechnology applications, understanding growth mechanisms of nanostructures and designing new structures and multifunctional nanocomposites. He joined the City College of the City University of New York as an Associate Professor of Chemistry in September 2004.
1. John, G. and Morita, M. 'Synthesis and Characterization of Photo-cross-linked Networks Based on Lactic acid/Serine Copolymers' Macromolecules 1999, 32, 1853-1858.
2. John, G. and Morita, M. 'Biodegradable Cross-linked Microspheres from epsilon-caprolactone/Serine Polydepsipeptides' Macromol. Rapid Commun. 1999, 20, 265-268.
3. John, G. Masuda, M. and Shimizu, T. 'Nanotube Formation from Renewable Resources via Coiled Nanofibers' Adv. Mater. 2001, 13, 715-718.
4. Jung, J. H., John, G., Masuda, M. Yoshida, K., Shinkai, S., Shimizu, T. 'Self-assembly of a Sugar-based Gelator in Water: Its Remarkable Diversity in Gelation Ability and Aggregate Structure'. Langmuir 2001, 17, 7229-7232.
5. John, G., Jung, J. H., Minamikawa, H., Yoshida, K. and Shimizu, T. 'Morphological Control of Helical Solid Bilayers in High-Axial-Ratio Nanostructures through Binary Self-assembly'. Chem. Eur. J. 2002, 8, 5494-5500.
6. Jung, J. H., John, G., Masuda, M., Yoshida, K. and Shimizu, T. 'Self-assembling Structures of Long-chain Phenyl Glucoside Influenced by the Introduction of Double bonds' J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2002, 124 (36), 10674-10675.
7. John, G., Minamikawa, H, Masuda, M. and Shimizu, T. 'Liquid Crystalline Cardanyl-ß-D-Glucopyranosides'. Liq. Cryst. 2003, 30, 747.
8. Frusawa, H., Fukagawa, A., Ikeda, Y., Araki, J., Ito, K. John, G. and Shimizu, T. 'Aligning a Single-Lipid Nanotube with Moderate Stiffness'. Angew. Chem, Int. Ed. 2003, 2, 72-74.
9. John, G. and Dordick, J. S. 'Self-assembled Lipid Nanotube Materials from Synthetic Glycolipids'. Polym. Mater. Sci. Eng. 2003, 89, 171.
10. John, G., Jung, J, H., Masuda, M., Yoshida, K. and Shimizu, T. 'Unsaturation Influenced Gelation of Aryl Glycolipids', Langmuir 2004, 20, 2060-2065.
1. Pillai, C. K. S., John, G., Jacob, B., Damodaran, A. D., Suresh, M. and Sunu, G. L. 'A process for the preparation of transparent or clear resin film from cashew nut shell liquid/ cardanol/ anacardic acid/cardol by the method of acryloylation, methacryloylation and polymerization', Provisional Indian Patent No. NF- 24 / 96, 1996.
2. John, G., Masuda, M. and Shimizu, T. 'Glycolipids Composed of Long Chain Phenols as Agricon', Jpn. Kokai Tokkyo Koho, JP 2001261692, 2001.
3. John, G., Masuda, M. and Shimizu, T. 'Preparation of O-glycoside type Glycolipids and Method for their Preparation', Jpn. Kokai Tokkyo Koho, JP 2001261693, 2001.
4. Shimizu, T., John, G. and Masuda, M. 'Hollow Fibrous Glycolipid Nanotube and Method for Producing the Same', Eur. Pat. Appl. EP 1186688, 2002.
5. Shimizu, T., John, G. and Masuda, M. 'Hollow Fibrous Organic Nanotube and Method for Producing the Same'. US Patent 6632497, 2003.
6. Shimizu, T. and John, G., 'Fibrous Nano Self-Assemblies' PCT Int. Appl., WO 2003072858, 2003.
7. Li, J., John, G. and Dordick, J. S. 'Novel Low Molecular Weight Sugar Gelators', US patent pending, 2004.