Swapan Kumar Gayen
85 St Nicholas Terrace
New York , NY 10027
- Ph. D., Physics, University of Connecticut, Storrs, 1984
- M. Sc., Physics, University of Dacca, Dacca, Bangladesh, 1977
- B. Sc. (Honors), University of Dacca, Dacca, Bangladesh, 1975
Swapan Kumar Gayen received his B. Sc. (Honors) and M. Sc. degrees in Physics from the University of Dacca, Bangladesh, in 1975 and 1977, respectively, and his Ph. D. in Physics from the University of Connecticut, Storrs, in 1984. He is currently a Professor of Physics at the City College and the Graduate Center of the City University of New York, and a member of the doctoral faculty of Physics and Electrical Engineering. His research interests are in optical biomedical imaging, imaging of targets in turbid media, tunable solid-state lasers, spectroscopy of impurity ions in solids, nonlinear optics, ultrafast laser spectroscopy, and optical spectroscopy and microscopy of nanoscale materials and composites. Dr. Gayen is a member of the American Physical Society, the Optical Society of America, and the New York Academy of Sciences.
- M. Xu, M. Alrubaiee, S. K. Gayen and R. R. Alfano, “Optical diffuse imaging of an ex vivo model cancerous human breast using independent component analysis,” IEEE J. Select. Topics Quantum Electron. 14, 43 (2008).
- S. K. Gayen, C. Gonzalez, V. Balogh-Nair, M. Brito, B. B. Das, G. Comanescu, X. C. Liang, A. H. Byro, David. L. V. Bauer, M. Alrubaiee, and R. R. Alfano, “Optical Spectroscopy of a Hybrid CdS-Dendrimer Nanocomposite,” J. Opt. Soc. Am. B 24, 3064 (2007). Also published in Vol. 3 Issue 1 (January 29, 2008) of the Virtual Journal for Biomedical Optics (VJBO).
- W. Cai, Xiaohui Ni, S. K. Gayen and R. R. Alfano, “Analytical cumulant solution of the vector radiative transfer equation investigates backscattering of circularly polarized light from turbid media,” Phys. Rev. E 74, 056605 (2006).
- M. Alrubaiee, M. Xu, S. K. Gayen, M. Brito, and R. R. Alfano, “Three-dimensional optical tomographic imaging of objects in tissue-simulating turbid medium using independent component analysis,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 87, 191112 (2005).
- M. E. Zevallos, S. K. Gayen, M. Alrubaiee, and R. R. Alfano, “Time-gated backscattered ballistic light imaging of objects in turbid water,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 86, 011115 (2005).
- S. K. Gayen, M. Alrubaiee, H. E. Savage, S. P. Schantz, and R. R. Alfano, “Parotid gland tissues investigated by picosecond time-gated and spectroscopic imaging techniques,” IEEE J. Select. Topics Quantum Electron. 7, 906 (2001).
- W. Cai, S. K. Gayen, M. Xu, M. Zevallos, M. Alrubaiee, M. Lax, and R. R. Alfano, "Optical three-dimensional inverse image reconstruction of objects in turbid media from ultrafast time-sliced optical transmission measurements," Appl. Opt. 38, 4237 (1999).
- Q. Fu, F. Seier, S. K. Gayen, and R. R. Alfano, "A high-average-power, kilohertz-repetition-rate, sub-100-fs Ti:sapphire amplifier system," Opt. Lett. 22, 712 (1997).
- K. E. Gonsalves, G. Carlson, X. Chen, S. K. Gayen, R. Perez, M. Jose-Yacaman, "Synthesis and nonlinear optical characterization of nanostructured gold/polymer composites and suspensions," Nanostructured Materials 7, 293 (1996).
- S. K. Gayen, R. I. Billmers, Guangning Yang, V. M. Contarino, M. F. Squicciarini, D. M. Alocca, W. J. Scharpf, and P. R. Herczfeld, "Induced-dichroism excited atomic line filter at 532 nm," Opt. Lett. 20, 1427 (1995).
- Y. M. Cheung and S. K. Gayen, "Optical nonlinearities of tea studied by the Z-scan and the four wave-mixing techniques," J. Opt. Soc. Am. B 11, 636 (1994).
- Y. M. Cheung and S. K. Gayen, "Excited-state absorption in Pr3+:Y3Al5O12," Phys. Rev. B 49, 14 827 (1994).
- G. S. Nolas, V. G. Tsoukala, S. K. Gayen, and Glen A. Slack, "Electronic-Raman-scattering study of the low-lying energy-levels of trivalent cerium-doped yttria," Phys. Rev. B 50, 150 (1994).
- Bin Qing Xie and S. K. Gayen, "Resonance enhancement of two-photon transitions to the second excited 4f5d state in Pr3+:Y3Al5O12," Phys. Rev. B 47, 5557 (1993).
- D. S. Hamilton, S. K. Gayen, G. J. Pogatshnik, R. D. Ghen, and W. J. Miniscalco, "Optical absorption and photoionization measurements from the excited states of Ce3+:Y3Al5O12," Phys. Rev. B 39, 8807 (1989).
- V. Petricevic, S. K. Gayen, R. R. Alfano, K. Yamagishi, and K. Moriya, "Laser action in chromium-doped forsterite," Appl. Phys. Lett. 52, 1040 (1988).
- V. Petricevic, S. K. Gayen, and R. R. Alfano, "Laser action in chromium-activated forsterite for near-infrared excitation: is Cr4+ the lasing ion?" Appl. Phys. Lett. 53, 2590 (1988).
- S. K. Gayen, W. B. Wang, V. Petricevic, and R. R. Alfano, "Nonradiative transition dynamics in alexandrite," Appl. Phys. Lett. 49, 437 (1986).
- S. K. Gayen, D. S. Hamilton, and R. H. Bartram, "Analysis of the lowest 4f-->5d two-photon transition in Ce3+:CaF2," Phys. Rev. B 34, 7517 (1986).
- S. K. Gayen and D. S. Hamilton, "Two-photon excitation of the lowest 4f-->5d near-ultraviolet transitions in Ce3+:CaF2," Phys. Rev. B 28, 3706 (1983).
5. R. R. Alfano, J. Ying, W. Cai, and S. K. Gayen, "Methods of improving line-of-sight wireless optical communication through adverse environmental conditions," U. S. Patent Number: 7,106,972 awarded September 12, 2006.
4. R. R. Alfano, S. K. Gayen, and M. E. Zevallos, "Spectroscopic and time-resolved optical methods and apparatus for imaging objects in turbid media,” U. S. Patent Number: 6,665,557 B1 awarded December 16, 2003.
3. R. R. Alfano, W. Cai, and S. K. Gayen, "Time-resolved diffusion tomographic 2D and 3D imaging in highly scattering turbid media," U. S. Patent Number: 6,108,576 awarded August 22, 2000.
2. R. I. Billmers, S. K. Gayen, and M. F. Squicciarini, "Excited-State Polarization Altering Filter," U. S. Patent Number: 5,721,632 awarded February 24, 1998.
1. R. R. Alfano, V. Petricevic, and S. K. Gayen, "Chromium-doped forsterite laser system," U. S. Patent Number: 4,932,031 awarded June 5, 1990.
- Biomedical optical imaging
- Optical imaging and pulse propagation through turbid media
- Nanoscale photonic materials
- Tunable solid-state lasers
- Ultrafast lasers and spectroscopy
- Spectroscopy of impurity ion-doped solids
- Nonlinear optics